Sunday, February 15, 2009

Boulevard Culture

It’s a Thursday night and I’m finally getting in from work. I come home, grab a quick dinner and hop online to check my Facebook. I talk to my friends online some then decide to multi-task and shop while I’m online. My mom comes into the room and asks me what my plans are later. I tell her nothing- I’m tired, I haven’t made any plans plus there’s nothing to do out in town, and besides, all my friends are online so I can still be social without going out. My mom instantly becomes aggravated. “Marissa,” she says, “you need to go out and be seen!”

Ever since I can remember my mom has always had this kind of outlook. I’m different and think of going out as a more practical thing like when there’s a purpose or when I actually have plans to do something fun or productive. This is why when, in my Politics and Culture class, I heard about the “boulevard culture” of the 20th century I found myself so intrigued.

Boulevard culture is nothing more than going out just to see and be seen. It’s entire purpose is to people watch or give other people something to talk about. The idea at first seemed kind of crazy but the more I thought about it the more sense it made. People at this time didn’t have telephones readily available nor did they have access to Facebook. If they wanted to be social or have any contact with those outside of their families, this was how they did it. It had to have been a big event too. I can’t help but smile when I think about how it must have been for girls to plan out their outfits to wear just to walk down the street. It actually seems kind of fun. Also, I can’t help but wonder if their means of socializing are better than ours? Back then they actually had to work to be social not just connect to the internet or press the speed dial key on their cell phone. And we all know things that are worked for are also far more appreciated. Maybe my mom really does know what she’s talking about. : )

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting comparison between our culture and the past!

    ReplyDelete